Meet Jim Phelps:
Primary Candidate (5109 of 5032 Signatures Confirmed)
- Experience – 30 years of law enforcement experience, 25 years serving with U.S. Marshals (Similar role and experience to what he would be doing in the Sheriff’s Office)
- Protecting the citizens of Utah County, their community and their families – “Not just protecting the citizens of Utah County, but empowering them, standing with them, and fighting for their rights.”
- Key Leadership Experience: 1) Narcotics, 2) Crimes against Children (including Sexual Predators), 3) Gang Violence, 4) Human Trafficking, 5)White Collar Crime. Has managed 700 federal inmates daily (including transportation and budgets)
- Strong Advocate for Community Oriented Policing – Create a great working relationship with citizens, be in the community. (Earn Respect from Citizens)
- Strong Proponent of 2nd Amendment Rights.
- Limit overreach of Government (including Federal Government) (With knowledge as U.S. Marshal, able to stand up to Federal Agencies and has done it multiple times.)
- Families need to be protected.
- Property crimes need to be a high priority.
- We need to solve the Opioid Epidemic – Work in conjunction with local, state and federal agencies, seek rehab for 1st time offenders, go after dealers and traffickers.
- Proactive Measures to protect and empower victims of domestic violence. Reevaluate offender treatment programs.
- Strong Fiscal Management – Use tax dollars more effectively and efficiently. Shouldn’t need MORE money, just better use of what we have.
- Hold a high standard for hiring and vetting new officers.
- Strong understanding of Correction Bureau – Body Cameras mandatory, Jail inspections (History of no lawsuits over jails he has managed.)
Meet Jim Phelps: (Experience)
- Narcotics: Worked with Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force. Need to grow our Major Crimes Task Force to be ready for this growing problem.
- Gangs: Served with Salt Lake Area Metro gang unit as a detective, and on the Salt Lake Area Gang Project Governing Board. Will make two units in Utah County: 1) Suppression Unit for criminal activity, 2) Prevention/Education Unit to work with citizens.
- Sexual Predators: Worked with Utah Attorney General’s Office Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force and Child Abduction Response Team. Will aggressively go after sexual predators.
- Human Trafficking: Work with the Utah Attorney General’s office SECURE Strike Team. No how to fight it and help prevent it.
- In-Custody Management: Managed 700 federal inmates daily. Prevent recidivism.
- Judicial Retention: Will create a website to educate on judges that shouldn’t be retained: 1)Consistently mistreat or intentionally or unnecessarily re-victimize an adult or child. 2)Interfere with my constitutional duty to protect you.